Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Top Ten Horror Scenes of all time

It's Halloween, so I must post something, this is a horror blog isn't it? So I sat down and came up with MY personal top ten favorite scenes from horror movies. Again, these are my ten favorite scenes... Not some Bravo list or some douche on yahoo writing an article just to write one. You may disagree or agree, it's your opinion... And hey why not click on an ad when you get to the bottom, google will pay me a dollar for literally 2 seconds of your time... And in descending order and hopefully matching videos...

#10. Wax Fight!!















Of course the first scene I try to insert, I can only find the trailer for... So I love the movie Waxwork, it's imaginative with multiple storylines but best of all chock-full of 80's cheese. The finale is a huge melee between the best of your Universal era of monsters and a small town. Anyway you need to check this one out on Netflix when you get a chance...

#9. Blowing Bubbles



The best scene in the original Nightmare, just barely beating out the opening with Tina and the weird lambs running around... This is the first scene in the movie that really grabs the audience saying that you are not safe, no matter where you fall asleep. Freddy is waiting...

#8. Freebird
I love this movie. Most people probably do not. There is nothing particularly scary or overly gross about it... but there is just something about taking your sick twisted antagonists and switching them around and making them seem like the good guys after the midpoint, then swinging your hero into a bloody-thirsty maniac that gets my movie induced brain flowing. And I heart Skynyrd.







#7. Why I screen my calls
The first movie I really became obsessed with as a kid was Scream. I knew every word. Still do. Plan on watching it tonight as a matter of fact. To be able to divulge into the world of satire and still make a movie actually thrilling and moderately scary, Bravo Kevin Williamson/Wes Craven. Bravo. I still believe that the actual character of Ghostface is not what made scream scary, just the implication that someone is watching you, watch a movie is really what I find disturbing.

#6. I wonder what could be behind this giant door? Well I'll just slowly walk up to i---

 Intro, Leatherface. Not my favorite horror icon, but I love this scene. You get the feeling,"hey this house is pretty creepy, if I were him I probably wouldn't be walking around in there." Then whooosh, a giant steel door flies open and there's Leatherface. Whack! drops him with a muted thud of a mauling meat tenderising Hammer. One of the better horror intro's if I must say so myself.
 
#5. Pazuzu
I could not find my actual favorite clip where the demon appears behind her for a split second, but the infamous headspin will do. I've actually done a good amount of research into this backstory and found it quite amazing. The real story was about a boy in western Maryland and William Peter Blatty transcribed the Priest's journal into a novel, then adapted his novel or the film. There were only rumored to be 2 copies of the journal, and Blatty only had his on loan for a few hours. He does not say how he came across the book, only that he could not copy directly what he read. Maybe he sold something precious of his to obtain this book, and the success that followed...
 
#4. The Box
Couldn't find the exact clip I wanted, but the scene where Kirsty is in the hospital and unlocks the box for the first time is just amazing. We already know what happens when you open it, but she doesn't. This gives the audience that little bit of an advantage but that is what makes this such a great scene. The television turns on to the image of a flower blooming. Subtle imagery? The walls split and they appear. Our first interaction with the Cenobites since the opening sequence. It really raises the bar for the film and makes us want to see more of them, especially since they willingly let her go... hoe often does that happen in horror films?
 
#3. Trapped in the Closet... (not R.Kelly's masterpiece)
The ending to the classic Halloween. I like to try and think if that was myself would I do the exact same thing as JLC in this scene. I would probably jump off the balcony. Maybe... But shit, if your trapped in the closet and you can make an eyeball shiv out of a fallen hanger, that's just good thinking on your feet. And writing on John Carpenter's side as well. Great scene.
 
#2. LIGHT OF MY LIFE!!!
OOOhhhh the frustrations of being a writer. I sympathize with you Jack Torrance... to an extent. This scene in Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece ranks second on my list mainly because of the acting here. Wow, just wow. I read somewhere that this scene took 140+ takes to get into the can. Probably why Shelly Long looks so tired, but Jack keeps the foot on the gas the whole time. There's a great making of the Shining floating around the internet as well worth checking out, pretty much documenting Kubrick writing pages and making the whole thing up as he goes, calling Stephen King in the middle of the night and asking him questions.
 
#1. The speech of all speeches...
This is why I am in this business. Whether or not you see Jaws as a horror film, that's your opinion. I do. This is my favorite scene of all time. Period. Jaws is always in my 5 disc DVD player and when I need some inspiration, I will jut put this scene on by itself. Little movie background, they actually spent 2 days shooting this scene... The first day Robert Shaw wanted to do it drunk. Spielberg said yes. It didn't work. Day 2, this happened. The set-up, delivery, the words themselves all perfect. One thing I can take away from this to improve my own writing is that I love when characters can tell stories within stories about themselves. And they deliver a purpose, is when it really counts. What do you take from Quint in this scene?? He has dedicated his life to hunting sharks after that traumatic experience. What does that say about his character? He will never stop. Bigger boat? Fuck you Chief. This is my boat. His ass is mine. And this stubbornness is what will be his ultimate demise. All of that can be deduced from this story. His past, present, and future.
 
I hope you enjoyed MY list of favorite horror scenes... what are some of yours??
 
- Cjevy
 
Follow me on twitter @cjevy, and click on an ad for me!!

 

1 comment:

  1. Robert Shaw owned the role of Quint like nobody’s business. A masterful cinematic speech (monologue) if ever there was one. And just like he did with his character ‘Doyle Lonnegan’ in 'The Sting’, opposite 'Henry Gondorff’ (Paul Newman) and Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford), Quint is the perfect 3rd piece of the puzzle with Roy Scheider’s 'Chief Brody’ and Richard Dreyfuss’ 'Matt Hooper’. Could you imagine these two classic films without Robert Shaw on board?

    ReplyDelete