Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Insidious Is...

Wow so it has been a little over a month since my last post about making it to Cali, and I guess you could say the next task would be making it IN Cali. It's tougher than a year old piece of jerky that has been trapped under the seat of a three hundred pound truck driver out here. Jobs are few and fast. But I mean, I have to get lucky one of these days right? I'm leaning toward Biker gang or Assassin if things don't perk up. HA j/k.

So I have been busy writing lots of short stories and more recently an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, my favorite show. The episode is tentatively titled "The Gang has a Gambling Problem".  My first adventure into the realm of comedy. I am personally happy with it so far. I'd be more happy if I could somehow get it into the hands of an agent or manager or showrunner. But hey, its just another sample, and I guess it will stay that way.

Anyway this past week a new PG-13 (yuck) release into the horror world hit the streets... INSIDIOUS. First off, I read the script before I went into the theater. I wish I hadn't, but I honestly probably would not have went otherwise. The script was lean and mean. A modern take on Poltergeist almost to a tee if you ask me. The biggest difference between the two is that we actually get to head into the "further" in Insidious where as Poltergeist is just the bright ass closet. The imagery... holy shit the imagery in Insidious is the true lifeblood that pumps through this film. For such a low budget (1million) you really could not ask for more. The "red-faced demon" was truly terrifying in the first and second acts of the film. Without giving anything away from the movie, the third act was good at first but a letdown of a "final" fight between the protags and the demon. The problem was that they did not set up a way to defeat him earlier in the script. Lin Shaye is amazing as the psychic, very similar to Poltergeist again, but she really puts in a great performance. Insidious is a film you must check out in the theater because it will just not be the same at home. The score will scare the bejeezus out of you more than once alone.

Overall, the film is truly a salute to Hitchcock and old school horror films. Their really is no need for blood and gore or even the language associated with a typical horror film, since our protags are a family battling an evil force. It makes alot of sense and I salute James Wan and Leigh Wadell on thier latest venture.

9/10

The trailer-- INSIDIOUS

-Cjevy

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I am also a screenwriter interested in horror and I was wondering if you still had the script to insidious because I would LOVE to read it. If so, would you please email it to me at kreayfan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete